Together in Spirit

An online reading group ('TIS a reading group!) to bring together friends, and friends of friends, who aren't able to be in a conventional reading group due to constraints of time or geography.

Sunday, January 22, 2006

February's book suggestion

What great posts! Glad we've all enjoyed it, but in different ways and with different reservations. Helen S's suggestion for an epilogue: perfect in literary terms, and I love the idea, but fear it would have been too bleak for me. I felt sure all along that it was going to have a "happy" ending as opposed to widespread tragedy - she conveys that in quite subtle ways, doesn't she? - so I would have had to hold Patchett to that... It is fairly rare, isn't it, for novels to jump genre at the end in the opposite direction: to have all the signs suggesting a positive resolution and then suddenly end horribly. I can't think of any examples offhand - can anyone help me?

While I'm waiting for that, February's book suggestion is Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden. I hasten to add that the recent release of the film has absolutely nothing to do with it - Helen S and I thought it would be an interesting book for us to do some time ago, and it's taken a while to work it into the list. I have a spare copy; if anyone wants to borrow it, just let me know.