Together in Spirit

An online reading group ('TIS a reading group!) to bring together friends, and friends of friends, who aren't able to be in a conventional reading group due to constraints of time or geography.

Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Unremarkable things

Kirsty - I'm so sorry about If nobody speaks of remarkable things! After choosing it I had second thoughts (hence my earlier warning that it looked lightweight - but I should know better than to try to warn any of you off anything!). I quite agree - some interesting characters and language, but not enough plot. Anyone who hasn't read it yet, I really wouldn't bother. Although anyone that has, and liked it, will be most welcome to say so... I thought the ideas about neighbours, interlocking yet mysterious lives, etc were better than the treatment. And certainly too much was made of the tragedy-to-come: seemed very prosaic after the build-up! Wheras in Kevin, of course, twists and shocks work better when unannounced, or when they're different to what you expect. At least we've now got over the hard-act-to-follow slot, post-Kevin, and can move on to something else, liberated - we hope - to enjoy it for itself and not as a not-as-good-as-Kevin. But I have to say what a pleasure for me it was to read something like Kevin, which spoiled other books through its brilliance.