Together in Spirit

An online reading group ('TIS a reading group!) to bring together friends, and friends of friends, who aren't able to be in a conventional reading group due to constraints of time or geography.

Thursday, September 01, 2005

How I Live Now

Hi, all. 2 sentence review of How I Live Now coming up... In my personal opinon: original and authentic voice (narrator's); immaculate use of language; intense; gripping; things deftly omitted (cf Homestead); startling; engaging and plausible characters; imaginative; unafraid. I loved it and would have given it 9 out of 10 if I was scoring it, which is pretty unusual for me when I love a book but haven't found it specifically edifying; that said, it was sufficiently thought-provoking when it was being disturbing for it to get away with it (unlike The God Of Small Things which I found similar in some themes but which didn't have enough hope for a romantic like me). Anyone who objects to the length of my sentences can blame my father, who taught me everything I know about semi-colons... Since we're still generally busy reading this, I'll suggest an October book choice later this month.