Together in Spirit

An online reading group ('TIS a reading group!) to bring together friends, and friends of friends, who aren't able to be in a conventional reading group due to constraints of time or geography.

Thursday, January 26, 2006

Bel Canto 2

I am not sure why you felt that there were signs that Bel Canto might end in a more favourable way, Emily. I was aware that Ann Patchett was making us care for the characters and fearful for their fate. This certainly added to the power of the story. It is easier to label such people as terrorists when they haven’t been fleshed out, but I can’t think of an alternative believable ending, can you? Would you feel sympathy with real-life hostage takers and murderers if you knew their personalities, talents and social backgrounds?
I do agree that the writing was very polished and enjoyable. I think I probably enjoyed the book more than my last post implied.