Together in Spirit

An online reading group ('TIS a reading group!) to bring together friends, and friends of friends, who aren't able to be in a conventional reading group due to constraints of time or geography.

Thursday, March 29, 2007

Amen to that!

I wholeheartedly agree with Val about short stories. I am struggling to read A Winter's Book just because I long to 'get into it' and find a series of snippets, beautifully crafted though they may be, too infuriating. I also feel that I need more education on the genre as a whole which, like poetry, needs some interpreting. Unlike the rest of you I have not read A Summer Book and therefore lack the background information to both Jansson's life and it's geographical setting, which may have helped me.

I also wholeheartedly agree to Emily's suggestion. I am happy to suggest a book for September although, like Emily, I will have the same excuse for possibly not being able to read it and contribute to discussing it with, by then, a four month old baby to deal with. Similarly I may not be able to contribute much to the group in the next few months although will endeavour to read as much as possible in order to retain my sanity!

With two of our members busy child-rearing would it be a sensible suggestion to consider inviting others to join our merry band? Do we have a waiting list of eager applicants Emily?