Together in Spirit

An online reading group ('TIS a reading group!) to bring together friends, and friends of friends, who aren't able to be in a conventional reading group due to constraints of time or geography.

Sunday, December 21, 2008

TIS of TISers

By my calculation, we’ve now read (collectively, if not individually) 25 TIS books. How about awarding our TIS of TISes a la Booker of Bookers? I’m adding the list below in case you need reminding (please let me know if I’ve omitted something).

My favourite reads include Bel Canto, Kevin, and The child in time but it was quite easy to pick my winner: Can any mother help me. What do you all think? Can we agree a winner? I read an interesting article in the Guardian earlier this year about how each of the Booker winners were chosen, the common factor being that all seem to have been the compromise candidate, which is rather sad. And, incidentally, the name that kept coming up as ‘the one that should have won’ was The Blue Flower. I'm surprised to find the book I most want to reread is A month in the country...

Together in spirit book titles

2005
Meg Rosoff How I live now
Robert de Board Counselling for toads
Linda Grant When I lived in modern times

2006
Ann Pachett Bel Canto
Arthur Golden Memoirs of a Geisha
Lionel Shriver We need to talk about Kevin
Jon McGregor If nobody speaks of remarkable things
Marie Darrieussecq White
Khaled Hosseini The kite runner
Marina Lewycka A short history of tractors in Ukranian
J L Carr A month in the country
Bill Bryson A short history of nearly everything
Anne Tyler Back when we were grownups.
Amy Tan The kitchen god’s wife

2007
Tove Jansson A winter book
Penelope Fitzgerald The blue flower
Elizabeth Kolbert Field notes from a catastrophe
Paulo Coehlo The alchemist
Ian McEwan The child in time

2008
Sarah Waters The nightwatch
Jenna Bailey Can any mother help me?
Maria Lewycka Two caravans
Bill Bryson Shakespeare
Leo Tolstoy Anna Karenina
Joan Didion Year of magical thinking