Together in Spirit

An online reading group ('TIS a reading group!) to bring together friends, and friends of friends, who aren't able to be in a conventional reading group due to constraints of time or geography.

Monday, May 25, 2009

Accustomed to horror?

I found the effect of this story lacked the immediate shock and horror that I experienced visiting the Occupation Museum in Riga... and subsequent visits to Prague ghettos and the House of Terror in Budapest. I don't think this reflects on the writing, which is purely narrative and unemotional but the acceptance of evil through familiarity I sense is an insidious danger and one to guard against and the story I found needed reflection and visualisation to fully appreciate the truth of their situation. In fact, I think it needs a second read.