Together in Spirit

An online reading group ('TIS a reading group!) to bring together friends, and friends of friends, who aren't able to be in a conventional reading group due to constraints of time or geography.

Saturday, September 26, 2009

The uncommon reader

Well hello, I am new to TIS and this is my first book. So hi to everyone!

I liked the book, easy to read, some interesting concepts. I had never reflected on the queen and what she may or may not feel, but I liked the conceit of using such an abnormal role to bring out all the interesting perceptions of what readying might do to 'one' in terms of generating empathy - do you really think it does? I have read for so long I can't imagine what life would be like without it. Neither of my parents will ever read a novel because they are 'not true'. They will only read biographies or improving books of one type or another. What is true after all? Authors put all sorts of truths into their novels, don't they but my parents are not interested because it is not factual. Incomprehensible! Are they lacking in empathy - mmm. I also liked the 'books did not care who was reading them' - I like the feeling of their indifference!. Sir Kevin though reading was a selfish pursuit, I never thought of it in that way, but I guess it is definitely 'me time'! Great ending.
What's next?