Together in Spirit

An online reading group ('TIS a reading group!) to bring together friends, and friends of friends, who aren't able to be in a conventional reading group due to constraints of time or geography.

Monday, July 25, 2005

Favourite Authors

Picking particular books, for me, would prove a problem, except for one totally inspirational…Nelson Mandela’s A Long Walk to Freedom. For a broader guide to my reading habits, I go back to age about 20 with Dostoyevsky’s Crime and Punishment and others. Staying in the period before babies, the novels and letters of John Steinbeck, several books by Nikos Kazantzakis, the Cretan author of Zorba The Greek, and books by Lawrence Durrell, particularly the Alexandrian Quartet. Post babies and retirement, the authors of importance to me include VS Naipaul and Vikram Seth. One other that I enjoyed was Iain Pears’ The Instance of the Fingerpost. These are the books that have been allowed to remain on the shelf as I would like to re-read them.
I am currently reading The Cairo Trilogy by Naguib Masouf which is about as long as A Suitable Boy, so I will have to finish this before reading a group book.
I hope that was not too involved, but I would find it hard to edit further.
I look forward to reading your opinions on the books that you are reading, and I will post something about my current book as soon as possible.