Together in Spirit

An online reading group ('TIS a reading group!) to bring together friends, and friends of friends, who aren't able to be in a conventional reading group due to constraints of time or geography.

Friday, October 21, 2005

Counselling

Everyone else seems to have enjoyed this, but I was disappointed and found it hard going. The choice of Heron as counsellor promised much – but I’m afraid I was thinking of the American craze for therapists and expecting an expose of him devouring Toad, as they do (in both incarnations). Silly, because de Board is a counsellor and is serious about its value. I avoid contact with counsellors and psychotherapists, and the thought of the gen public being armed with this handy layman’s guide to diagnosis horrifies me. Obviously I have much which I want to hide.

But he’s made use of a brilliant marketing ploy in attaching his product to the famous and well-loved Wind in the Willows. I have probably read that book a dozen times but missed all this going on.