Together in Spirit

An online reading group ('TIS a reading group!) to bring together friends, and friends of friends, who aren't able to be in a conventional reading group due to constraints of time or geography.

Tuesday, November 15, 2005

harking back

Returning to the theme of films being better than the book: I nominate Thomas the Tank Engine and also Last Orders, Graham Swift. The film (L O) isn’t brilliant but the book is very ordinary, despite (?) being a Booker winner. Having read all the Bookers (in the days before reading groups) I’m very keen to try the rest of the oranges, rereading where necessary. I’ll decide whether to reread Linda Grant when I’ve seen what you all say.

Back history: Emily seems to bear me a real grudge for giving her Beloved by Toni Morrison, one of the best books I have ever read. But just for the record, I also recommended the Shipping News, End of the Affair and the Bone People, though this may have slipped her memory. Beloved is strong stuff and perhaps not ideal when you have young children. Valerie, have you read it?