Together in Spirit

An online reading group ('TIS a reading group!) to bring together friends, and friends of friends, who aren't able to be in a conventional reading group due to constraints of time or geography.

Thursday, March 29, 2007

The Winter Book

I have to agree with many of the thoughts expressed in previous entries. I do not dislike short stories, but I think that they require a high degree of skill to leave you intrigued and satisfied that they are a whole in themselves. This book had a real feeling of whimsy, helped by the light touch of this author. I felt drawn into each situation but was not always satisfied by the ending. There was a certain unevenness between them. Some were obviously fiction and some not, but of these which parts were or not? The Summer Book, for those of us who have read it, certainly helped to set the scene quickly in those stories set on the island and probably made the final story more poignant.

Suggestions for future choices are fine by me. Do I sense that a breather may be welcome?