Together in Spirit

An online reading group ('TIS a reading group!) to bring together friends, and friends of friends, who aren't able to be in a conventional reading group due to constraints of time or geography.

Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Suggestions

I by no means want to impose a title on you, but have just read "Shakespeare" by Bill Bryson, John having bought it for my birthday. It's not only available for loan, but is really interesting and persuasive and was an excellent potted guide. I should have known most of it but didn't, and am glad I do now. Since Shakespeare is so central to literature/language, and since there are so many misconceptions about him, I would heartily recommend this book to you. It's also short, witty and readable. These qualities are rarer than they should be... Anyone on for reading/discussing this next?

In the longer term, I feel - unusually! - able to face starting on "Anna Karenina" by Tolstoy. It will take me some considerable time to read it, so if I start it now while you quicker members read other stuff/Bryson etc, we may yet end up finishing at roughly compatible times! I think Valerie may have read this already, but I would be very grateful for anyone who is prepared to join me in reading this.