Together in Spirit

An online reading group ('TIS a reading group!) to bring together friends, and friends of friends, who aren't able to be in a conventional reading group due to constraints of time or geography.

Friday, July 29, 2005

It's working already...

... because Kirsty is going to read All Quiet on the Western Front, Ruth is about to read Behind the Scenes at the Museum, Helen D has bought A Suitable Boy, Helen S is going to finish it and Kirsty - never one to skimp on anything - is contemplating re-reading it. For my part, I have finally conceded that I must try Lawrence Durrell's The Alexandria Quartet. Since you've persuaded me, Valerie, can I please borrow it? And The Long Walk to Freedom afterwards?! I've loved all the posts we've had so far, and have particularly enjoyed the individual ways that we've approached the "5 books" theme. It's been very stimulating.

By the way, having raved tediously about The History Boys on stage (sorry to rub your nose in it again, Kirsty!), they are planning to make a film of it, using the original cast. So if that comes off, you're in for a treat. One of you (forgive the memory lapse) suggested conferring about whether a film-made-of-the-book has EVER been better. Anyone got any candidates? My only thought is The Godfather, but since the book is pulp, that might not count. Mind you, creating such a transcendant film out of such a potboiler does rather highlight the triumph of the film. I tend to avoid films-of-the-book (recent disappointing examples include The Shipping News and The End of the Affair) but I have seen some where I felt the film equals the book in quality, for example The English Patient and Sense and Sensibility. Helen S had suggested having films/plays/reviews as a secondary subject on here, which I'd been desperately hoping we could. Anyone got any other contenders for either category? Or, being you lot, you doubtless have a better version of the question!