Together in Spirit

An online reading group ('TIS a reading group!) to bring together friends, and friends of friends, who aren't able to be in a conventional reading group due to constraints of time or geography.

Monday, September 11, 2006

Forthcoming suggestions

I know it's a bit early, but here are the next two suggested books. A month in the country by J L Carr and A short history of nearly everything by Bill Bryson.

Since the Bryson is quite long and factual, it may not be the sort of thing one wants to read without interruption. I certainly plan to read it a bit at a time, interspersed with other things. Accordingly, I'd suggest A month in the country for October, since it's very short and that gives us more slack before we get to the Bryson in November. One of the main reasons for suggesting the Carr is that the film of the book launched the careers of both Colin Firth and Kenneth Branagh. I thought that at least some of us might want to investigate both versions and discuss their interplay. My and Helen's library systems allegedly have a copy each on video, but no DVDs and nothing at all in Valerie or Kirsty's systems. We may need to improvise... Let me know if you want me to get my local copy and lend it to you. Alternatively, Amazon have cheap copies to buy or rent, if that's appealing. The book, I'm pleased to report, is readily available!