Together in Spirit

An online reading group ('TIS a reading group!) to bring together friends, and friends of friends, who aren't able to be in a conventional reading group due to constraints of time or geography.

Saturday, July 22, 2006

White by Marie Darrieussecq

For a book of only 145 pages, this seemed a very long read. I managed to read two thirds and then skimmed the rest. I’m afraid I found following this story very hard work. It did not seem to flow at all as a comprehendible narrative. The story had several strands that should have made an interesting whole, but I fear these were submerged by all the extraneous bits and pieces of information and removed all hope of clarity. I agree with others that the ghosts added a further dimension and read quite well. Dripping information into a story has been effective in other books, but I’m afraid this obviously requires skill and here rather misses the boat.

Written by Valerie but posted by Emily