Together in Spirit

An online reading group ('TIS a reading group!) to bring together friends, and friends of friends, who aren't able to be in a conventional reading group due to constraints of time or geography.

Thursday, November 23, 2006

December's book suggestion

Looking forward to seeing your Bill Bryson posts shortly, but in the meantime you may wish to get ordering December's book. Helen S referred us ages ago to Radio 4's "Matron Lit" discussion. It was an interesting piece, and made the point that literature very specifically targeted at a particular group tended to be bad both for the literature and for the reader. I couldn't agree more. They contrasted this with some writers who, while often enjoyed by mature women, were not typecast/ing in this way. One was Anne Tyler, who's new to me, so I thought we might try her "Back When We Were Grownups". A modern, normal-length novel by a woman - I've done what I can to give you a contrast with the last two books!