Together in Spirit

An online reading group ('TIS a reading group!) to bring together friends, and friends of friends, who aren't able to be in a conventional reading group due to constraints of time or geography.

Tuesday, November 03, 2009

Earth hums in B Flat

I liked the book a lot. I think she captured what it's like to be inside a child's head very well indeed. I can remember thinking like that - my flowery bedroom curtains were definitely scarey faces as night fell. I also liked the 'family stomache' and the 'family hair' - casual use of family slang which if used outside the family might be a bit embarrassing but the child is blissfully unaware.

As it started I thought we were off on an abuse story (hints at the beginning about Ifan); the thing I did not get really was why Magda loved him so much when he appeared to be violent and abusive and a bit spooky. Mental illness played a key role in the book, and perhaps could have been a bit more developed, but I guess it reflected the knowledge and attitudes of the time.

As to flying, well we all fly in our dreams don't we - it's how we escape!

I have seen the film of the Diving bell and the butterfly but not read the book, so am easy about which one we read.

Sue