Together in Spirit

An online reading group ('TIS a reading group!) to bring together friends, and friends of friends, who aren't able to be in a conventional reading group due to constraints of time or geography.

Monday, August 01, 2005

Films of Books

Yes Emily, I too thought Sense and Sensibility and The English Patient were suberb adaptations on film. As I mentioned in my earlier Blog, I also thought the BBC's adaptation of Middlemarch was superb. Robert Hardy made a wonderful Brooke of Tipton and whoever the actor who played Raffles was was disgustingly brilliant. The other book that I thought worked well as a film was Tracy Chevalier's The Girl with a Pearl Earring. This is as much to do with the subject matter which by its very nature is all about the visual medium. I also thought that they filmed it very beautifully in a way that reflected Vermeer's work in general and the hazy beauty of the Netherlands. Colin Firth was also very nice to look at, even with long hair!