Together in Spirit

An online reading group ('TIS a reading group!) to bring together friends, and friends of friends, who aren't able to be in a conventional reading group due to constraints of time or geography.

Monday, August 01, 2005

wow

Hi all
Isn’t this great? Trouble is it doesn’t leave much time for reading.
Emily, pls ask John if he can fiddle with the date list so that it’s in English, ie day/month/yr not American.
Sorry that my posts don’t highlight names as instructed – broadband hasn’t reached Well Hill yet, so I type in Word and then transfer to save costs.

I’ll need to think about the film of the book debate because I’m certain I have a contender if only I can remember which. Meanwhile, how about having an ‘if you liked that you’ll like this’ section. Helen D: if you like the child’s eye view, have you read Paddy Clarke Ha Ha Ha, by Roddy Doyle?

Valerie: favourite authors made me think and my list, not in order, might well be (for fiction):
John Galsworthy (funny, acute and lots of upstairs/downstairs Emily);
Peter Carey (always different, all well written);
Graham Greene (the master of language, description and Catholic angst – his closest modern rival would be the Alan Bennett) ;
Jennifer Johnston ( modern Irish history through short deceptively simple novels); William Golding (no-one else gets so totally immersed in the very varied contexts he writes about. If you haven’t read the Inheritors, you absolutely must. It’s about Neanderthal man, but don’t let that put you off. It would certainly be one of my 10 books you should read before you die).
But I’m sure I’ll want to add others – particularly women!