Together in Spirit

An online reading group ('TIS a reading group!) to bring together friends, and friends of friends, who aren't able to be in a conventional reading group due to constraints of time or geography.

Thursday, August 05, 2010

Closed secrets

Well it looks as though we are unanimous on this: I read it back in May, and made some very brief, for me, notes, which you’ve all covered, but which were:

Has anyone read any of Munro’s novels? What do you recommend? There’s no doubt she is a great writer – I love her quirky women, her style and language. But short stories have never been a form of fiction I enjoy because it requires far too much concentration (I really need to read all of these again) and because the worlds she creates are too short-lived for me to disappear in to. I particularly liked The Albanian Virgin, but really didn’t understand Open Secrets – as I say, they need re-reading and the links between them established. But I’m never going to do that.