Together in Spirit

An online reading group ('TIS a reading group!) to bring together friends, and friends of friends, who aren't able to be in a conventional reading group due to constraints of time or geography.

Friday, August 05, 2005

A Suitable Book

A Suitable Book - an excellent alternative title from Helen S (in her Introducing Me post of 31st July). Or even A Suitable Book Online, ie an ASBO... very much the sort of thing we hope not to be acquiring. Although if reading is considered anti-social, who knows what might happen?

Val (Mum) - intrigued to hear your vote on good-film-of-book when you remember it. I quite agree with Helen S's votes. Great films. I'm sorry there's no subsection facility to put films in or, indeed, "if you liked that you might like...". I'm afraid we have to just have them interweaved with our other exchanges. I'd thought there would be a partitioning facility, but it turns out you need to pay each month to have a site which does that, and we felt this would rather detract from the informal nature of the site. But yes, definitely recommend things under the "if you liked..." banner. John tells me Amazon have copyrighted or somethingd that sort of facility in some way or another, but that's so patently (!) ridiculous that I shall make a point of doing it and hope that I manage to infringe something. Seriously, I think they've patented it if you're selling things online. And while this site could cost us a fortune in terms of books-we-have-to-buy-because-they've-been-so-persuasively-recommended, it's not as if we're on commission. Alas.

Will have to come back when I've thought of a list of favourite authors - I've found the lists so far very stimulating. Interesting how they do not necessarily mirror what people read most often, or indeed their worldview. By which I mean - you don't get a more committed feminist and anti-racist than my Mum, but she appears to have been rather mugged by her subconscious and of her list, 4 are "dead white men", or at least established/establishment white men.

Kirsty - what might yours be?